Why am I doing this‽
As a kid, I went golfing with my father every weekend during the Spring and Summer. I learned how to drive in an electric golf cart when I was nine years old. When I was in sixth grade, my father traded some of his manual labor for a 1970's Harley Davidson Electric Golf Cart, and I drove that thing every day down our long crushed gravel driveway through the forest to pick up the mail from the box. So I've been used to driving electric for a long time, but I never thought it might be feasible to create an actual car with that same technology. But then a company called Tesla sold a thing called a Roadster to a man named Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Ever since I heard about the Tesla Roadster, I've wanted one. But I can't fucking afford that shit. When SACHUMO was getting rid of his 1984 Firebird Trans Am, he asked me if I wanted it. I decided I would turn it into a Tesla on my own.
A 1984 Firebird Trans-AM that I am converting to a 100% Electric Vehicle. The name of this project is "THE STARFIGHTER X," as inspired by Luke's X-Wing Fighter from Star Wars. The STARFIGHTER X will have a Tesla Model S P85 rear motor drivetrain, and at its completion will have a 80-(ish)KWH power pack with a real-world 300 mile range as well.
On March 12, 2019, I acquired a 1984 Firebird Trans Am with a Chevy 305 V8, and began the process of converting it into a fully electric vehicle.
My goal is to have it completely converted into an electric vehicle before the end of January, so I can take it on a road trip to the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Texas so I can attend FULLY CHARGED LIVE USA on February 1-2. I know that if I just do a little bit each day, I will have it finished by then, but I’m not sure how much of a range it will have prior to the conference.
I'm a 26 years old college dropout / student. I have served in the Washington Army National Guard, US Army Corps of Engineers, US Army Reserves, and the US Army's First Corps.
I have attended Western Washington University, Everett Community College, Skagit Valley College, and American Military University. I have not graduated from any of them.
I volunteer as a Camp Staff Member, Merit Badge Counselor and Adult Volunteer with the Boy Scouts of America, and at several local Model United Nations chapters, and the Northwest Model United Nations. In the past I have been involved with the Knights of Columbus and Rotary.
I have also been writing a novel for the last six years and when it's finished, you can purchase it at my personal website and blog; www.ragethenight.com.
Remove Exhaust and Manifold
- Cut the manifold in half, weld the pipe onto the base, and turn it into a desk lamp.
Remove radiator and hoses Remove seats Gut the carpet, throw it away or give to the cats to scratch on
- Lift the 305 V8 and set it aside.
Drop the gas tank.
- Learn how to spot weld
- Purchase used Tesla large drive unit
- Purchase used Chevy volt intact battery pack
- Hack the drive unit, purchase a controller
- Purchase and hack a Tesla model S MCU
- Gear shift
- Electric Brake system
- Re-install window controls into the door
- BMS from ZEVA
- Adapt the floor axle well to fit the Chevy volt battery pack
- Drop the Trans/axle
- Bolt the drive unit in place, attach rear wheels
- Flair out rear panels above the wheel wells (Tesla motor plus wheels is 77inches wide - Firebird is only 74 inches wide)
- replace several heavy steel parts with prepreg carbon fiber
- Hack a CAN BUS together
- As time progresses, keep purchasing more batteries to increase range
- Install coolant system for batteries, controller, motor, etc
- Install level 3 Chargepoint under fuel filler cap and Charger Controller
- Replace gauge cluster with EV gauges / hacked digital gauge cluster
- Incorporate MCU into the stereo system - no tunes means no drive. Period.
- Check traditional 12v functionality (hazzards, headlights, tail, brakes, indicators, speakers)
- Buy a new drivers seat (something where I won't hit my head on the roof while driving), replace passenger seat
- Create a Frunk (Also known as Froot in UK)
- GET IT PASSED AT STATE PATROL INSPECTIONS
- Drive to Austin in February
- Paint it
Tesla Rear Motor/Drivetrain = 2,999.99 (plus 499.99 shipping)
Chevy Volt Battery Pack = 1,999 (plus 499.99 shipping)
Cables and connectors = Several hundred dollars
Motor Controller = ???
Throttle = 50 to 80
Carbon Fiber Hood replacement = 719.10
Other carbon fiber replacements = ???
Creation of a Frunk / Froot = 100 - 300
BMS = ???
Contacter = ???
Tesla Model S MCU = 850 plus shipping
Tesla Model S Charge Port Assembly = 146.51 plus shipping
ZEVA Fuel Gauge Driver V2 = 190
Heating/Cooling elements = 800(ish)
TOOLS = 1,000
Random-ass shit I haven't thought of yet = probably about one thousand
THE ROAD TRIP
The plan is to drive this beast to to the First Annual Fully Charged Live USA event in Austin, Texas, in February.
THAT'S 2,164.4 MILES - ONE WAY
I will be working with "A Better Route Planner," to make sure that I don't have to suffer from the EV phenomenon called Range Anxiety.
PURCHASE YOUR OWN TICKETS TO THE EVENT HERE;
THE DOPE BRANDS
THAT HAVE INSPIRED ME
and finally, the white zombie
You paved the way with your burnt rubber and handmade motors for millions of people to watch you drive by in a flash, jaws dropped all the way to the floor, screaming out to the skies that "this is fucking impossible, right? Electric vehicles can't do this, can they?"
You made it possible - and you held onto a piece of history - you were the world's first fastest street legal car.